12/5/20

STRATEGY: MOVING A STUDENT'S SEAT


It is possible to maintain an atmosphere of calm, even in the lunchroom. How do you get the kids to behave when they are in an unstructured environment such as study hall or lunch? The answer is leverage.
A few days ago, there was a small group of middle school kids who were getting a little bit too rambunctious at lunch.
In my nicest teacher "loud" voice, I asked the entire lunchroom group to sit down in their seats.

Three boys remained standing.

I walked over to their table and repeated the instruction.

However, one of them said in a mocking tone of voice, "I have a medical condition. I have to stand up."

This was a classic power play and I knew it.

I said, "Well, you can either sit down or you can sit with me," and then I walked quickly away from the group, not making eye contact.
Immediately, all 3 boys sat down in unison, saying, "Yes, Ma'am."
Why did they comply? They did not respect me because I am not one of their teachers: they only know me as the art teacher and they could care less what I think of them.
I do not have a "relationship" built with these kids, so I have almost zero leverage. If I had kept eye contact with them and stayed in proximity until they complied, there would have been a power struggle. It would have resulted in a negative atmosphere and ruined any chance I have of developing a good relationship, as well as invited more misbehavior in the future.
These boys complied because they wanted to keep their privilege of sitting by their friends. That's it.
They learned something about me, too. I did not yell at them or threaten them. I did not glare at them or say anything negative about them. I simply gave them a choice and allowed them to make it.
The authors of "Love and Logic" say that one of the most powerful bits of leverage we have is moving a student's seat. This strategy is one that I use often and it works almost every time!
The lunch period stayed upbeat and the kids remained calm and cheerful. Several students who never talked to me before looked at me with a new respect that day. It is a huge relief to kids when a teacher can keep the peace.

No comments: